helen99: A windswept tree against a starlit sky (Default)
[personal profile] helen99
Idea spawned out of an early morning laughfest with [livejournal.com profile] rialian after finding our book on the uses of Kudzu: Carnivorous Invasive Species Permaculture Garden (complete with self-sustaining cycles), which would, among other crawling horrors, contain the product of splicing a giant venus flytrap with kudzu...

(no subject)

Date: 2008-02-10 03:54 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] rebelfilms.livejournal.com
LOL. I once bought a "grow your own Venus Flytrap" kit. But nothing grew. Meh. :(

(no subject)

Date: 2008-02-10 03:58 pm (UTC)
ext_5300: tree in the stars (Default)
From: [identity profile] helen99.livejournal.com
We have two carnivorous plant garden starter kits that people have given [livejournal.com profile] rialian for Christmas. At some point we should probably grow them...

(no subject)

Date: 2008-02-10 05:15 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] foxchilde.livejournal.com
And this is why when Ri talks about bio-engeniering I get so scared.

(no subject)

Date: 2008-02-10 05:23 pm (UTC)
ext_786: (Default)
From: [identity profile] rialian.livejournal.com
===You should see my most recent post, then...yet another reason I am not particularly for GMO work at the present time. If they want to do this on the moon, and not have things get back here...fine. (I think a bunch of folks really do not have their cronology right...space flight and moon bases FIRST....THEN you do stuff like modifying genes, in environments that are not going to allow for any real possibility of spread.

(no subject)

Date: 2008-02-10 05:58 pm (UTC)
ext_5300: tree in the stars (Default)
From: [identity profile] helen99.livejournal.com
Hey, no, they need to leave my moon alone! Once they litter up there, it stays until a meteor hits it. Plus, you know they'd just have to construct some big, horrible beacon that people could see from here.

(no subject)

Date: 2008-02-10 08:14 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] elenbarathi.livejournal.com
Need to build underground, like in Heinlein's books; there'd be no sense building surface structures there. It would have to be one hell of a huge big horrible beacon for us to see it from here, even assuming it was using visible light frequencies, which wouldn't be likely.

I want all the pollution-generating heavy industry and experiments that could have disastrous consequences OUT of this ecosystem. We've got another whole planet with no life-forms to displace or destroy, no air or water to pollute (or to affect equipment), no weather, minimal seismic activity, and gravity light enough to make handling large items considerably easier. It's like having a detached garage/workshop, a place to do messy projects without stinking up the kitchen or wrecking the carpet, and if you set yourself on fire there, at least the whole house won't burn down.

(no subject)

Date: 2008-02-10 08:46 pm (UTC)
ext_5300: tree in the stars (Default)
From: [identity profile] helen99.livejournal.com
I need to look at the sky at night and know that there's at least one place where humans haven't imposed their prison bars. Without that, I will surely kill myself.

(no subject)

Date: 2008-02-11 01:10 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] kaifoxx.livejournal.com
It'll probably say "Starbucks" too.

;)

(no subject)

Date: 2008-02-11 04:26 am (UTC)
ext_5300: tree in the stars (Default)
From: [identity profile] helen99.livejournal.com
Aieeeeee!!

(no subject)

Date: 2008-02-10 07:52 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] elenbarathi.livejournal.com
LOL, I need to show my daughter [livejournal.com profile] green__willow this post, because she's got a whole sketchbook full of drawings and descriptions of Carnivorous Invasive Plants like that. She's designing a rainforest, you see - a rainforest so deadly that the Elves who live in the midst of it stay up in the canopy, because the understory is all a-crawl with KillYouAndEatYou in the form of treacherous plants.

(no subject)

Date: 2008-02-10 08:48 pm (UTC)
ext_5300: tree in the stars (Default)
From: [identity profile] helen99.livejournal.com
I think you would both enjoy the movie "Habitat" ...

Supposedly it's a horror story. Heh .. Heh .. Heh ..

(no subject)

Date: 2008-02-10 09:52 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] laurelindel.livejournal.com
Like Day of the Triffids, only much cooler.

(no subject)

Date: 2008-02-11 04:29 am (UTC)

(no subject)

Date: 2008-02-10 10:38 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] historychick49.livejournal.com
When I was younger (I dunno, maybe nine or ten), I came up with the idea for a horror story of a sort of intelligent, murderous kudzu. It would seek out certain individuals (I hadn't come up with what kinds of individuals) and creep into their bedrooms through the windows, strangling or smothering them in their sleep.

I think I like your idea better, though.

(no subject)

Date: 2008-02-11 04:38 am (UTC)
ext_5300: tree in the stars (crochet2)
From: [identity profile] helen99.livejournal.com
Ah yes, the deadly creeping vines. Being trapped by vines or vine-like tendrils seems to be a common fear in people.

Hehehehe

Date: 2008-02-11 01:27 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] kaifoxx.livejournal.com
Kudzu and Venus Flytrap hybrid. I could think of a few gardens I'd like to sneak that into...lmao.

April 2010

S M T W T F S
    123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
252627282930 

Most Popular Tags

Style Credit

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags